Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My Sneaky Journey

purple_puree

Vincenzio won't eat anything.

It's very very very frustrating trying to get him to eat.

What's even more frustrating is trying to get him to eat his fruits and veggies!

This brings me to my shopping experience Friday evening.

While Dom and Vinny were away trying to get Dom an iPhone 4, I was browsing through cook books at Barnes and Nobles. I happen to stumble across

" the SNEAKY chef "


I sat down, nursed my fussy bambino, and skimmed through the book.

After looking over 3 recipes I was hooked. I had to have this book!

She not only has recipes you can make from scratch, she also has ways you can improve store bought food (like Mac and Cheese!).

That weekend we went grocery shopping and I bought everything on her
" Staples to Buy " list.

After a fun filled day at the splash pad, park, and Chick-Fil-A Dom and I got down to business.

I prepped and made all the purees while he scooped them out and stored them for later.

Then I started on her " Easy Homemade Pasta Sauce ",
whilst Dom got the dough ready for our pizza.

pita_power_pizza

We ended up making a margarita pizza for us, and a cheese pita pizza for Vinny.

pizza

What was hidden in the pizza? Yams, Carrots, Zucchini, and Cauliflower(I forgot to add white beans!). And yes we snuck it into our pizza as well :)

What did Vinny think? Well he ate 1 slice. Then said no to the rest because it was yucky.

What was the problem? Onions! I hate them and I guess so does my kid! The sauce recipe called for one whole onion. I put half an onion in. It was still too strong for the two of us.

I'll be remaking the sauce and pizza soon. This time with just a tiny bit of onion. Oh and the white beans!

1 comment:

Domenick said...

So sneaky chef of mine. The jury is still out on whether this will actually work or not, or whether the power of vinny's boyness will win over. I cannot attest to the onion flavor, but he did eat that one piece pretty quickly which was odd. Really hungry? Conufused by its pizza like appearance? Who knows. Our pizza turned out good and the hidden elements were pretty well hidden once the pizza was complete. Though I have to admit they were pretty noticeable in just the sauce. Seems like a good way to get some extra goodies in and not have to find different ways to cook all of this stuff. So far it works for me. Thanks for trying so hard for the family and for looking that all up. Love you and I am so proud of you for trying to hard for us and the boys.