
Well as I turned to go back inside I fell off our deck twisting my foot. The deck is only a few feet away from the door, so that was able to brace my fall. I opened the door trying to continue going on about my morning. Figured the walk to the park would take a bit more time, but I could use the stroller as a makeshift crutch.
My body had other plans.
As I took a few steps I got a searing pain in my foot, began to feel dizzy, I remember feeling hot and sweaty, I fell, hit my head on our kitchen table, and awoke later to Vincenzio telling me it was wake up time.
As I started to piece what had happened together; I felt my heart racing. I began crying hysterically scared out of my mind. I tried calling Dom, he didn't answer. I called my aunt, she didn't answer. I had no idea what to do. I tried thinking of who I could call. Honestly I didn't want anyone besides those two. Only they have seen me at my worst, and trust me I was a crying mad woman! I continued to call Dom, he continued not to answer. Finally my aunt texted me to call her home number. I did just that. When she picked up, I think I almost gave her a heart attack! She could barely understand what I was saying, but knew I needed her. Off she and my uncle went! Finally Domenick called me back. This caused me to be more of a blubbering mess. I was so scared. I had no idea what was going on. I tried to clue him in, but had to go soon after to crawl to the door and let my aunt and uncle in.
Luckily we had the boys carseats. My uncle installed them, and helped me to the car.
When we got to the hospital it was hard for me to fill out the paperwork. It was really hard for me to remember things. It took me about 2-3 minutes to fill out each question.
Soon after a nurse came to check me in. She was really intrigued that I was not seeing an OB, and was planning another homebirth. It was a great conversation.
I got checked into my room very fast (they seem to move things along when you're pregnant and pass out!). I didn't care too much for my nurse or the doctor. The whole experience made me very thankful that I do not have to deal with big egos on a regular basis.
First the nurse thought she would give me her opinion on the size of my family... She suggested I should consider a tubal, IUD, shot, etc.; because " You're so young. You need to think/ do something for yourself.". I was shocked at her bluntness. True I do. I am planning on doing just the thing. But truth be told, it isn't any of her darn business!
(the nurse took some blood for testing.)Then the doctor came in... Oh that doctor.
He started off asking who my OB was. I informed him that I do not see an OB but two wonderful midwives. He made a snarky comment about midwives, then proceeded to tell me they must have an OB they answer too... I replied that they did think they did, if so I haven't met him/her. Then came the ultrasound debate. He didn't want to give me one, just wanted to know that I had had one done. I told him we were declining all ultrasound and doppler use this pregnancy. This invoked the " OMG! What! You... You just can't decline those! Your baby!". They didn't like me to say the least. And quit frankly the feeling was mutual.
The final diagnosis was severe dehydration. They ordered i.v. fluids, Zofran(they agreed I have Hypermesis Gravidarum, the Zofran was to help with that), and an x-ray for my foot.
(i.v. fluids)I politely declined the x-ray after talking to the technician(who didn't seem all to confident with her answers to my questions.), Dom, and one of my midwives. This of course angered the doctor. They decided to let me go after the i.v. fluids, and just give me a bulky boot for my foot.

I was happy to be out of there! I am thankful for their help, just not their attitude. Hospitals just aren't for me.
2 comments:
Oh Jaz i am so glad you are ok!!! xoxox
as for the drs and nurses and their op pinions... screw em! your baby = your decisions!
Oh my goodness! I'm glad everything is ok but I am so sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience at the hospital. I have also received some negative feedback when others find out we are also using a midwife but we are delivering in a birthing center. Get lots of rest Mama!!
Post a Comment